Our Church Property
Lafferty built our first church building, and Michael
Tickle sold the church the land, a site of about six
acres, for twenty-six dollars. The first building was made of logs, had a dirt
floor, and used slabs of hewn logs for seats. This
original building was located about one-half mile north
of where the church now stands1 (in the
direction of Ace Speedway).
In November of 1850 the second building was completed on the site of the present cemetery, the original site having been sold to Lewis Lambeth and later to Faucette Simpson. The second site was obtained in December, 1836, from John Huffhines, who sold the church 5.19 acres for forty dollars. William Swaim, with the help of neighbors and friends, framed and put up the second building.*
In 1851 a cemetery was started beside the second building. The first body placed there was November 20, 1851. It was Julius Y. Tickle, son of Lewis Tickle. The young man was fifteen years old. Bro. Faucette Simpson helped to dig this grave. The second person buried there was Bro. Faucette Simpson’s wife, June 21, 1852.1 Both of these grave stones are still standing.
the years 1877-1885, a third building was built. Rev. D.
F. Jones was active in erecting this building, and it
was constructed under the supervision of Berry Davidson. It was a large building, weather boarded and
painted white, and the inside was ceiled and papered.
Dedicatory services for this building were held
June 21, 1885
The members of the early church were very active in the work and progress of the church. In April, 1891, David Michael asked for, and was granted, permission to solicit funds for the purpose of buying a bell for the church. In October, 1899, the finance committee reported that Mr. Michael had collected $84.25 toward the bell. The bell cost $103.18. John T. Kernodle paid the balance of $18.93 and gave that amount to the church. That same bell hangs in the belfry today. Sanctuary Interior
July, 1917, a committee on lights reported that
"they have installed five swinging Aladdin lamps,
at a cost of $33.75." In January, 1929, the
committee on putting electric lights in the church
reported "the work has been finished and the money
is guaranteed to finish paying the bill."
Records show that in July, 1918, the church decided to get new seats for the church. "L. D. Rippy, W. A. Paschal, and A. C. Madren were appointed to purchase new seats and dispose of the old seats to the best advantage." Mr. Carl H. Sutton, Sr. said he remembered that the estate of his grandfather, Riley Sutton, gave eight hundred dollars toward the purchase of the new seats, and he also remembered that the cost of the new seats was $1,600. They were put in the fourth building in 1951 and are the same ones used today.
In 1923 Sunday School rooms were added. This building was torn down after the church moved to the fourth and present building in 1951.
it was decided that this building was inadequate to meet
the needs of the congregation, and investigation
disclosed that this church was eligible to share in the
estate of the late Rev. J. W. Holt, who had left
provision in his will for the churches he had served as
pastor, and who had paid his salary in full, to receive
specified amounts, provided they raised an equal sum to
be used for building purposes. This church received
$3,250 from his estate.
were begun for the fourth building to be built on the
south side and close beside the third building. The
blueprint for this building was accepted in 1944. The
estimated cost was $60,000. Work began soon with much
material and labor being donated by the members. A
cornerstone laying service was held
May 16, 1949. The mortgage burning service was held March 9, 1958
In 1960 a parsonage was built on the southeast side of the church property, at a cost of $20,000. J. Wilson Kernodle was the contractor. The building is used currently for church offices and a Meeting House.
a Fellowship Hall was built at the back of the church
and connected to it by a covered walkway. The contract
price of this building was $171,000.
* According to the papers of Reverend J. W. Holt